Frederick Ernest Cooper was born on the 20th January 1877 in the village of Harrold in Bedfordshire. His early upbringing would almost certainly have included helping out on Crow Hill Farm on which he lived with his farm labourer father Thomas and mother Elizabeth.
This is the first of a number of articles about managers of the Half Moon Pub at Wilstone. We are still working on a timeline and comprehensive history but, in the meantime, some interesting stories are emerging. This first contribution describes and compares the experiences of two brave and capable women who were left on their own to run the Half Moon during the first and second World Wars.
This article covers an episode in the history of Long Marston that doesn’t go back as far as some other recent interviews; it covers the time in the 1990s when the Queens Head became well known as ‘The Curry Pub’, attracting people from far and wide to the village. The landlord from this time – Simon Sturt – shares fond memories of his time as landlord.